You may not want to necessarily get married and do the whole ‘bride’ thing, but there are certain things that pretty much confirm if you’ve got yourself a keeper…
1. After being on holiday, you miss him when you’re back to work or school
Rather than being glad of the space, you genuinely feel like you’ve been apart for years after leaving the house at different times in the morning and getting back to your normal routine without him by your side 24/7.
2. He does little chivalrous things for you that really count
Despite his equally hungover state, he doesn’t hesitate to pull on his jeans and go to the corner shop to buy the bacon/Maltesers/Lucozade you’re desperately craving.
3. You can’t imagine the idea of having to go on a date with someone else
What would you talk about? Would he let you have some of this chips? And more than half of the pudding? It would just be too stressful.
4. Even when you don’t like him, you love him
He might not always say or do the right thing (but then again, neither do you) but even when he comes back from watching the football reeking of cider and trying to tell you about how amazing Rooney is, you still love him. Even if you wished he would just leave you alone and let you sleep.
5. He’s the first person you want to text or tell when ANYTHING happens in your life
You tell him everything no matter how small, and he does the same to you. Your whatsapp thread is full of random sentences / pictures that mean something to the both of you…
6. …that said, if someone read your texts about what to get from Tescos they would DIE OF BOREDOM. But you both know it’s important to pick up the chicken / loo cleaner / milk on the way home.
7. He’s really nice to your parents and he actually means it
What a gem
8. Being highly-strung is totally cool
You can be completely, insanely irrational (‘I SWEAR MY EFFING BOSS IS EFFING TRYING TO EFFING KILL ME’) and he really doesn’t seem to mind.
You understand eachother’s use of emojis. This is important.
10. You’ve talked about your plans and are on the same page
Sure, you both know that you love to lie in and watch a rerun of Take Me Out on a Saturday but if you don’t know if he doesn’t want kids either, or if he too wants to live in a house in the city for five years at least, then you don’t know shit.
11. You can plan the distant future together
Oh hey, wanna go see Olamide at OLIC in Lasu in June 2017? Sure! Planning the future with each other in mind without even thinking about it or worrying that you won’t make it that long is a clear sign your brains have already locked in for life.
12. You’ve shown each other a full spectrum of emotion
You’ve horrifically, properly, full-blown cried in front of him (Clare Danes in Homeland style) and rather than be terrified by the apparent melting of your face, he just listened, held you, and tried to make you feel better.
13. He looks really worried when he holds someone else’s baby because he doesn’t want to do it wrong
i.e. he’ll be a cute dad when the time comes
14. He’s ok with your weird cute quirks
He’s seen your collection of Elvis memorabilia / Harry Styles pinterest board – and he’s okay with it.
15. When your friends complain about their relationships or slag off their boyfriends, you genuinely have nothing to contribute
Your whine about his beard-hair on the sink seems to pale into insignificance next to Sarah’s real problems (not to belittle the beard-hair thing though, that shit is disgusting).
16. You can be gross together
You can spend all day in bed and get all-day-in-bed-sweaty and it doesn’t seem to matter.
17. He treats your friends like his friends
Even when your best mate get messy drunk on white wine, slurs and has to be sent home – he makes sure she gets there, then checks in to make sure she’s okay the next day
18. You’ve seen each other at your worst
Whether it be in a full on FIT of anger or jealousy or a particularly troublesome bout of food poisoning, you’ve experienced each other with your guard down and remained totally unflapped.
19. You love each other in your natural states
He gets all huggy and affectionate when you put on sloppy comfy clothes and scrub your makeup off, and you actually REALLY like it when he puts his ninja-turtle pyjama trousers on.
20. You sleep much better when he’s lying next to you
Anything else just feels… wrong.